By Jessica Herrera
The Met Gala is indeed one of the biggest fashion nights in New York City! Stars work all year long to achieve the perfect look that goes right along with the yearly themes. The Met Gala would have taken place this month but was canceled due to the given circumstances going on around the world, but that doesn’t mean we still can’t celebrate some of the biggest fashion hits and misses on the carpet over the years.
We will look at different categories, let us know in the comments below and on our Instagram page @thechicdaily to see which fashion looks you thought worked the best!
Let’s take a look!
* In 2018 Blake Lively dressed in Versace following the theme of “Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination.” The ruby red and gold design took 600 hours to create especially because of the intricate beading on the bodice.
* Rihanna wore a Pope-inspired ensemble that same year. The jewel-encrusted headpiece and robe were designed by Margiela. She had very light-colored eyebrows and a smokey eye look. Sparkly Christian Louboutin heels were the last piece needed to complete the overall look.
* In 2019, Kim Kardashian wore a creation by Thierry Mugler for the “Camp: Notes on Fashion” themed night. The designer came out of retirement to create this custom gown which took him eight months to complete. The latex beaded gown was designed to create a wet dripping look. One of the main focuses of the dress was Kardashian’s cinched waist, thanks to famed corset maker Mr. Pearl who made her a custom piece just for this gown.
* Jennifer Lopez sparkled on the pink carpet in a beautiful Versace dress in 2019 for the same theme. She appeared to be dripping in ice accessorized from her head all the way down the train of her dress in shiny paillettes. She dedicated the finalized gown to Luigi Massi, Versace’s longtime tailor, who worked with Lopez for many years and passed before completing the gown.
The Best Duo
* In 2019, Kylie and Kendall Jenner both wore similar Versace gowns. Kylie dressed in lilac and Kendall in bright orange, somehow they complimented each other really well. The two definitely took on the meaning of Camp that night and they did not disappoint with their interpretation of the theme.
* Beyonce and Jay Z in 2015 wore Givenchy for the “China: Through the Looking Glass” themed night. She wore a beautiful gown that was embellished with Swarovski crystals, rhinestones, and gems which Beyonce claims made the dress quite heavy for her to wear. Jay Z looked sharp in his suit, the pair looked great together on the carpet.
* Lady Gaga in 2019 showcasing her best interpretation of Camp which was the theme for the night. She chose a cat eyeliner look with gold long pieces she used to exaggerate the look of her top and bottom lashes.
* Sophie Turner looked amazing following the 2019’s theme, “Camp: Notes on Fashion.” She is seen here rocking some fierce blue eyeshadow for photographers. Turner’s make-up complemented her attire really well. The blue eye shadow created a sharp cat-eye look and her hair was embellished with silver glitter gel as well.
* Katy Perry’s gown was created by Moschino designer, Jeremy Scott. The walking chandelier dress was accompanied by a smaller chandelier headpiece which Perry carried gracefully. The most interesting part of the dress was that this creation was indeed a fully functioning light source with real glowing lights and Swarovski crystals for the 2019 “Camp: Notes on Fashion” themed night.
* Zendaya looked just like a princess with her light-up Cinderella ball gown in 2019 for the same theme. She wore a custom Tommy Hilfiger creation that was an instant hit on the pink carpet when her fairy godmother, also known as her stylist, used his magical smoking wand to light up her dress in front of everyone’s eyes.
* Sarah Jessica Parker is always reinventing herself and is a big fashion icon in the industry. She decided to wear a flame-like headdress by Philip Treacy to adorn her custom SJP x H&M ensemble in 2015. Parker did a great job of channeling the theme that night which was “China: Through the Looking Glass.”
* In 2018, Winnie Harlow wore a custom headdress by Brittny Wood of Odd Commodities. She accompanied her headpiece with a custom Tommy Hilfiger gown. Harlow went with a white angelique gown for the Met Gala’s theme for “Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the
Best Dressed Gentlemen
* Chadwick Boseman in 2018 dressed in Versace. The all-white suit included religious embellishments, gold shoes, and of course a cape. His look represented the “Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination” theme really well.
* Zayn Malik in 2016 at the “Manus x Machina: Fashion in an Age of Technology” themed Met Gala event. Malik dressed in Versace and accessorized his look with armor sleeves which all tied in together great with the theme.
* Ezra Miller in 2019 for the “Camp: Notes on Fashion” themed night. Miller dressed in a Burberry suit with a rhinestone corset and a mask of what appeared to be of his own face. He collaborated with different artists to achieve his optical- illusion look which included five very realistic eyeballs painted on his face.
* In that same year, Michael Urie wore a half tuxedo and half dress ensemble by Christian Siriano. The actor committed to the look with his hair and half makeup and half barefaced with facial hair.
* Priyanka Chopra in 2019 for the “Camp: Notes on Fashion” theme. She dressed in a gray, yellow, and pink dress by Dior. Her makeup, hair, accessories, didn’t seem to match her dress overall and made the look a bit confusing.
* Donatella Versace wore a neon green inspired look with the word “Divine” written on the dress itself that same year. She coordinated the color of her skirt with the color of the tips of her hair. The multi-colored dress was not up to par with the other designs on the pink carpet.
Worst Dressed Male
* Cody Fern wore a Maison Margiela Artisanal look designed by John Galliano for the 2019 “Camp: Notes on Fashion” themed night. His camel colored suit featured a black tulle overlay with a blue polo neck and coordinating blue cowboy boots.
* RuPaul dressed that same year in a pink and black sequined suit designed by Zaldy. The overall look almost appeared to resemble a Zebra like print.
* Lupita Nyong’o makeup look in 2019 for the “Camp: Notes on Fashion” themed night by Makeup artist Nick Barose. Lupita’s makeup seemed to clash with her gown instead of complimenting it. Many different eye makeup techniques were all used at once like thinly drawn eyebrows, a cat- eyed look, glittery eyes, and black lipstick.
* Kristen Stewart’s makeup look for the Camp themed night was created by Makeup artist Jillian Dempsey. Stewart’s look was quite simple for the night and didn’t coordinate with her red orange hair tips as well as her bleached eyebrows and white lined makeup on her eyelids.
One of fashion’s biggest night is definitely the Met Gala! The best part of this event is that we get to see the creativity of celebrities and fashion designers come to life every year.
Let us know which Met Gala look was your favorite and cast your vote on @thechicdaily’s Insta stories!
Who are you excited to see at the rescheduled Met Gala? Let us know on Instagram and Twitter or leave a comment!
Reach the writer on Instagram
I always look forward to Rihanna’s outfits. So I’m pretty bummed there’s no Met Gala this year. For the meantime, I’ve been keeping myself busy by browsing great deals at https://fusionswag.com/