By McKenna Leavens
Fun fact: I have always been in a relationship on Valentine’s day. I have always made dinner reservations, went shopping for gifts and made Feb. 14 as special as possible.
This year was very different. Not being in a relationship on Valentine’s day kind of sucks, but it’s also extremely freeing.
I didn’t have to worry about making dinner reservations or finding a perfect outfit that would take me forever to pick out.
Instead, I sat in my apartment eating chocolate-covered strawberries, wearing my pj’s and drank some wine; it was honestly amazing.
I planned the perfect date for myself and didn’t have to worry if anyone else was enjoying it because I know for damn sure I was.
There are a lot of people out there who HATE Valentine’s day, a lot of my friends will go on and on about how annoying it is and how it only matters when you’re in a relationship.
I couldn’t disagree more.
Valentine’s day, to me, is about love and celebration; not just for your significant other but for you.
Feb. 14 is about giving love to who you are and all the amazing things you do.
I feel like there is a lot of pressure that revolves around Valentine’s day, and people make it way more stressful than it needs to be.
To make it a little less stressful I laid out some tips that might make next year’s Loveday a little more loveable.
Tips and Tricks
If You’re Single
- Plan a night out with the girls, get dressed up and SLAY!
- Have a night in, drink some wine, watch some rom coms.
- Eat so much chocolate it makes you sick.
- Order a heart-shaped pizza and eat that WHOLE thing baby.
- Cook yourself a bomb ass dinner.
- Go shopping, DUH.
- Optional (Cry).
- Decline calls from your ex (Obviously)
In A Relationship
- Have a night in with some Chinese food, comfy blankets, and a BIG bed.
- Go out to a fancy dinner, dress HOT and let your partner compliment you all night.
- Surprise one another with some cute little gifts.
- COOKIE TASTING! Go to Whole Foods or any other local bakery, get every single cookie and rate them from best to worst.
- Watch each other’s favorite movies.
- Go to Taco Bell.
- Do whatever the hell you want, just do it together.