This summer I am interning on Capital Hill, for those of you unfamiliar with that term that would be our nation’s Capital, as in Washington, D.C.
I have been here for about a month now and I have picked up on several Capital Hill trends that are not only great for summer, but would also look great in the desert.
1. One accessory you are sure to find all over the streets of Washington, DC is an umbrella. It rains a lot in the summer and you never want to be caught unprepared. Girls carry an array of colored and patterned umbrellas making them quite the accessory.
2.Tory Burch is huge out here. I have never seen so many TB logos in my life. Everything from bags to sunglasses to shoes is Tory Burch. But one thing that is a necessity, the classic Tory Burch flats. These bright yellow are great for summer.
3. A large tote bag is a must. Many ladies even carry 2-3 tote bags around. This Michael Kors tote bag is a great jewel color for summer and would hold all you needed and more.
4. A watch is also another must have accessory. This one from American Apparel is subtle enough to wear every day but could also easily be layered with other bracelets, etc.
5. One thing that no woman can live without, especially in the humid summer months is a versatile tank dress. These help you stay cool, can be worn to the office and can be easily dressed up for a night out after work.
6. You can never have enough blazers on the Hill. They are great for layering in a cold office, wearing out with jeans and they always make you look polished. And white is a great summer color to add to your blazer collection.
7. Another necessity is a cute pair of flat sandals to change into after a long day of working.
8.Because of the humid air, headbands are a great way to tame your hair as well as look put-together. And, not to mention, wearing adorned headbands will help you channel your inner ‘Blair Waldorf.’
1. Ralph Lauren is everywhere here and the guys aren’t afraid to rock colored Polo shorts. Arizona State boys, take a cue from this…there is more to life than denim and khaki, I promise.
2. A great dress shoe is a must for working men on the Hill. I have spotted a trend though; In D.C. brown is definitely the new black.
3. A great suit is also a must for the men on the Hill. This light color is great for summer, too!
4. Ties on ties on ties. Ties are like the necklaces for women in my opinion, they are the finishing touches to a suit if you will. And, if it’s Burberry, that doesn’t hurt either.
5. Nobody rocks boat shoes quite like the boys out east. They are everywhere on everyone and are in a plethora of colors. Although the guys tend to keep things more neutral.
6. It’s rare to see a guy without Ray Bans out here!
7. Lacoste is another big brand out here, especially for the men. Polos are the bro-tanks of the west coast. They are a must have.
8. A watch is also a great accessory for the guys out here. It keeps them punctual and keeps them looking professional. As with the brown shoe trend, I have seen many brown leather strand watches floating around the Hill.
So get ready ladies and gentlemen; it’s time to bring the east coast to the west coast.